Saturday 19 September 2015

Two hours with Puff Paint - Denise

For the second of our sessions, we decided to play with Puff Paint. There are several makes available, and we tried two of them: we both used Craftynotions Black Puff Paint, and Lisa also tried Tulip White Puffy Paint, which I'd tried on a previous occasion and didn't get on with as I didn't like the consistency. We took some of these ideas from Sarah Lawrence's book '... it's just Puff Paint' and others from Maggie Grey's 'Raising the Surface with Machine Embroidery'. Some are things I've tried myself and found successful.


Black puff paint on poly-cotton: half textured, half smooth

First, I spread the puff paint onto black poly-cotton using a tongue depressor. (I sometimes use an old cut up credit card or a drink stirrer to take the paint from the jar and to spread it.) I then patted the paint with the depressor to create a textured surface before zapping it with a heat gun.
Half heated sample - you can see the matt effect when it is 'cooked'

As it is heated, the puff paint looses it's shine and goes matt; it is finished when no shiny areas remain and you may need to apply head a second time if the paint is very thick.


You can then colour the puff paint using your favourite acrylic based paint. I also use Pearl Ex mica powders either brushed on their own or mixed with a little water if I need a more intense colour. My favourite paint is Lumiere, which gives an even coverage and good colour. On this sample I have used Halo Blue Gold:



Puff paint incised with the end of a paint brush and painted with Lumiere Halo Blue Gold
I know it looks green - I think the colour is interacting with the black!

You can do many things to create texture:


Puff paint through net, burnished with gilding wax (Gleam)
In this sample, the puff paint was spread in a thin layer through net, then zapped and burnished with gilding wax.


Puff paint through net coloured with (left to right) Pearl Ex mixed with water, dry Pearl Ex and Gleam.
In this sample, the net was removed once the puff paint was spread through, then zapped. It was coloured with Interference Violet Pearl Ex powder, both dry and wet, and Gleam.


Puff paint through organza and zapped burnished with Gleam
 Organza was used to spread over the puff paint, left in place and zapped, then burnished with Gleam.

Puff paint stamped, zapped and burnished with Pearl Ex and Gleam
Stamps can also be used on puff paint. It does need to be spread fairly thickly before applying the stamp. This was zapped and burnished with dry Pearl Ex and Gleam. After impressing the puff paint, I used the stamp to print onto a piece of white fabric. The applied puff paint wasn't thick enough to give a very raised effect, but could be enhanced with other media and stitch.


Puff Paint stamped onto white fabric
I did try a few more techniques, and will be adding them in the next few days.

Denise



No comments:

Post a Comment